The Nigeria Society of Physiotherapy (NSP) founded on 29th August, 1959 is the umbrella professional body of all Physiotherapists in Nigeria. The NSP had its 59th annual scientific conference, 60th anniversary celebration and AGM between 20th and 26th October 2019. This year's conference and annual general meeting had over 600 delegates in attendance. The week long of activities held at the Nigeria National Merit Award Hall Maitama and VIP lounge of the MKO Abiola Stadium Abuja, started with the Committee of Heads of Physiotherapy Department in Nigeria (CHOPDIN) workshop and AGM- Theme: "Effective Implementation of the Established Clinical Specialties: An instrument for quality delivery of physiotherapy interventions", Pre-conference workshops in collaboration with Nwuga Physiotherapy Foundation(NPF), NPF annual distinguished Lecture, Plenaries, scientific sessions, Dinner and AGM. The Theme of the conference was- REVERSING HEALTH TOURISM: CALLING PHYSIOTHERAPISTS TO ACTION AS STAKE HOLDERS. The event was declared open by the FCT Minister. Other esteemed dignitaries that graced the event were: Yogesh Singh who represented the Indian Ambassador to Nigeria, Joseph David Salifu, the FCT Chairman, Association of Medical Laboratory Scientist of Nigeria, The FCT Chairman Association of Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria e.t.c Dr. Sam Ibeneme delivered the 7th Pa Dr T Abayomi Oshin lecture theme- "REFORMING HEALTH SECTOR GOVERNANCE TO ACHIEVE REVERSAL OF HEALTH TOURISM" while the 7th Christopher Agboola Ajao Lecture on "CLINICAL PRACTICE GUIDELINES AND SOPs FOR REVERSING HEALTH TOURISM" was delivered by Dr. Jibril Nuhu The 59th Annual General Meeting of NSP carefully considered, a number of issues of interest to Physiotherapists, Physiotherapy profession, the Nigeria health industry and the Nation at large. The AGM resolved as follows:
1. APPROVAL OF POLICY DOCUMENTS. The NSP AGM approved four policy documents which included: i The NSP 5-year strategic plan. ii Reviewed NSP Ethics and Professional Practice Guidelines. iii Postgraduate Physiotherapy College Ordinance. iv Reviewed NSP Constitution.
2. CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE WITH CODE OF PROFESSIONAL ETHICS OF NSP. The AGM approved issuance of certificate of compliance with the code of professional ethics of NSP in accordance with the section 2.1.6 of the Scheme of Service for Physiotherapy as signed into law by His Excellency President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2001. This became necessary in order to curb quackery and reduce unethical practices. This will also go a long way to compliment the efforts of the Medical Rehabilitation Therapist Board of Nigeria (MRTB) in regulating training and practice of Physiotherapy in Nigeria. The AGM pronouncement will be followed with letters to the relevant authorities in Nigeria for immediate implementation.
3. HEALTH CARE DELIVERY. The NSP unveiled her plan to support the Government's agenda for Reversing Health Tourism. The NSP reinforced her belief and affirmed that Physiotherapy is a major component of preventive, promotive and curative health, and that the health delivery system (primary, secondary and tertiary) should be so structured to ensure every patient who requires Physiotherapy intervention had it as at when due without compromise on quality of care. The Christopher Agboola Ajao Lecture on CLINICAL PRACTICE GUIDELINES AND SOPs FOR REVERSING HEALTH TOURISM and The Thompson Abayomi Oshin Lecture on REFORMING HEALTH SECTOR GOVERNANCE TO ACHIEVE REVERSAL OF HEALTH TOURISM in Nigeria further revealed that the Physiotherapists in Nigeria are major stakeholder in the reversal of health tourism. Therefore relies on the government policies to favor the profession down to the Primary Health Care level. The approval of DPT and establishment of Postgraduate Physiotherapy College which serve as foundation for acquiring clinical proficiency and competence, important factors needed to keep Physiotherapy patients in Nigeria for treatment, were acknowledged. The NSP is currently partnering with 8 hospitals/center in each geo-political zone and FCT to establish Centers of Excellence in 8 Physiotherapy specialty areas. The NSP has offered to support the hospitals/center with advanced training, part sponsorship for training abroad and facilitation of Health Tourism to Nigeria through partner associations in other countries. Specialty Groups are currently developing contents for the training.
4. POST GRADUATE PHYSIOTHERAPY COLLEGE (PPC). In her bid to produce thorough and astute Clinicians of both National and International repute, the Society (NSP) sponsored and pushed Physiotherapy Postgraduate College (PPC) Bill through the 1st and 2nd reading during the 8th Assembly. However, due to circumstances beyond the Society's control the Bill wasn't seen to conclusion in the last Assembly. Futher to the Society's preparedness for an efficient running of the college while setting up advance structures for the college with her meagre resources, The PPC inducted five fellows of the PPC into the various Faculties of the college. They include the following:
A. Dr. Henry Onuwe, Faculty of cardiorespiratory Physiotherapy
B. Dr. Olusola O Ayanniyi, Faculty of Orthopaedic Physiotherapy
C. Dr. Sam Ibeneme, Faculty of Neurophysiotherapy
D. Prof. TK Hamzat, Faculty of Neurophysiotherapy
E. Prof. Ganiyu Shokunbi, Faculty of Orthopaedic Physiotherapy.
5.FELLOW NIGERIA SOCIETY OF PHYSIOTHERAPY (FNSP). The AGM approved the highest honors of the profession -FNSP to the following members for their contributions to the development of the profession.
A. Dr. Taiwo Oyewumi
B. Dr. Usman Zubair
C. Dr. Iyabo Okulaja
D. Dr. Sam Ibeneme
E. Prof. TK Hamzat
They will be conferred with the fellow of NSP at the next AGM in Lagos.
6. EXTERNAL AUDIT OF NSP FINANCES. External audit report of finances of the NSP was submitted to the AGM and this has been approved to be a consistent activity to ensure transparency and accountability.
7. RECONCILIATION MEETING. The AGM strongly affirmed that the Nigeria Society of Physiotherapy’s Name, Identity, Constitution and Structure are SACROSANCT and a NO-GO AREA.
8. CONFERENCE HOSTING. The AGM re-affirmed that Lagos State NSP will host 2020 NSP Annual Scientific Conference and AGM. The Secretariat was therefore mandated to remind them and write them letters to that effect.
Dated this 4th November, 2019.
Dr. Rufai Yusuf Ahmad
President* . NIGERIA SOCIETY OF PHYSIOTHERAPY.
Oyinlola Felix Odusanya.
National General Secretary* . NIGERIA SOCIETY OF PHYSIOTHERAPY.